Gluten-free sweet potato streusel muffins
Hello! Happy #NationalMuffinDay. These “days” are very much made up and highly questionable so I’m gonna move on real quick from that one.
THESE MUFFINS. I made them a couple of weeks ago and it happened to be a very rare occasion where the recipe turned out PERFECTLY on my first try. I would argue that few things feel better than really nailing a recipe on the initial attempt. Do not be fooled – this very rarely happens to me. Especially with muffins and quick breads, there is inevitably always some mushy centres the first time around.
These little guys are heavenly. I’ve been on a nonstop “sweet potato in sweet recipes” kick these days and I’m loving it. They lend a lovely, subtle sweetness and thus eliminate the need for tons of extra sugar. Hell yes! These also have a generous amount of incredible pumpkin-pie-esque spices in them. But #NotBasic because they’re not pumpkin spice muffins – they’re SWEET POTATO SPICE muffins! I also added 2 scoops of collagen to up the nutrition in these babies. I love Further Food marine collagen and you can get 10% off your purchase with my code KULASKITCHEN10!
Hope you love these 🙂
- ¾ c. cooked + mashed sweet potato
- ½ c. almond butter
- ¼ c. coconut oil, melted
- ⅓ c. maple syrup (room temp)
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 egg (room temp)
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. nutmeg
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ c. almond flour
- 1 c. oat flour
- optional: 2 scoops of collagen (I love Further Food marine collagen)
- ¼ c. chopped almonds
- ¼ c. oat flour
- 2 tbsp. coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil
- pinch each of salt + cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and start by making your streusel. Combine all streusel ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the wet ingredients (sweet potato through nutmeg) and whisk well until combined. Then, add in your salt, baking soda + flours and mix well just until you have a smooth batter.
- Divide batter between 10 greased muffin cups and top evenly with your streusel mixture.
- Bake muffins for 15-20 minutes, checking for doneness and leaving them in for a couple more minutes if needed. Remove from the oven, let cool for 15 muffins, and enjoy topped with nut butter or regular butter!