Perfect no-bake chocolate peanut energy bars
Hi friends! I’m gonna make this one quick b/c this HEAVENLY recipe is part of this week’s meal prep and I need to link to it so ya’ll can do it up!
These are, no joke, one of the best snacks I’ve made to date. They’re sort of reminiscent of a Larabar, but less sweet – perfectly chewy, filling, chocolate-y + energizing. I brought a few of these babies to my boxing fam today and they got the stamp of approval. These are such a perfect mid-day or pre-workout snack.
I made these over the weekend and I’ve already made 2 more batches – they’re THAT good. Also, I’m not usually a fan of providing nutritional info because it’s not something I like to fixate on (ingredients are more important than nutritional facts!), but my sweet mother requested it for these bars so I used an online tool to calculate…and the results are amazing. The below is for 1 of 10 large bars.
Calories: 211 / Fat: 15g / Protein: 7g / Fibre: 4g / Sugar: 4g
Hell YES to high fat/protein, low sugar snacks. 4g SUGAR! Not to brag, but that is good stuff, especially considering these taste like a dream and are definitely sweet enough. For reference, a chocolate PB Larabar has 19g sugar 😳
Bottom line: these are insanely nutritious and you can save so much money (and trash/plastic) making your own energy bars, plus they take 10 mins to make and it’s easier than you think! AND they are no bake so – basically perfection. #winning. MAKE THESE!
- ½ c. almonds
- ½ c. peanuts
Note: roasted nuts give these a nice flavour, so if your nuts are raw, you can toast them in a dry skillet over medium heat for a few minutes. Alternatively, you can buy pre-roasted nuts. Raw works too - I've just tried both and I think roasted gives better flavour, but this is totally optional!)
- ½ c. rolled oats
- 2 tbsp. ground flaxseed
- 2 tbsp. hemp seeds
- 2 tbsp. cocoa powder
- 6 soft dates (I used honey dates; if you use larger Medjool dates you may only need 4)
- scant ½ c. natural creamy peanut butter
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil
- ¼ tsp. salt
- Pinch each of cinnamon + vanilla powder
- 2-4 tbsp. almond milk
- Optional: 1 scoop of chocolate protein powder or collagen for extra protein (and a bit of sweetness)
- Place your almonds + peanuts in the bowl of your food processor and blend until they have a sand-like texture. Add in your oats, chia + hemp seeds, dates + cocoa and pulse a few more times to incorporate. You should have a mixture of very small pieces now.
- Add in your peanut butter, coconut oil, salt, cinnamon + vanilla (if using) and combine until a dough starts to come together. Add in a tablespoon or two of almond milk to help this process. The dough should be slightly sticky and form a solid when pinched between your fingers. If too dry/crumbly, keep adding spoonfuls of almond milk.
- Once your mixture is the right texture, press evenly into an 8x8 pan and let it harden in the freezer for at least 30 mins. At this point you can top with peanut butter (I mixed 2 tbsp PB with 1 tbsp coconut oil and drizzled on top), then cut into 10 bars and store them either in the freezer or fridge to enjoy throughout the week! Extras will keep in the freezer for a few months but I'm SURE they won't last that long 🙂