Sticky tempeh + brussels sprout lettuce wraps
Hi friends! I feel like it’s been quite a while since I’ve posted a recipe on here. Life’s been busy lately! I wish I could work on this little passion project full time but alas, a girl’s gotta make a living doing other things too. Don’t worry, I have plenty of delicious recipes for you up my sleeve, I just have to get around to editing photos + writing + all that good stuff 🙂
This one here is a big time winner. I recently hit up Planta in Toronto, which is an amazing plant-based restaurant that has developed quite the following here. I went with my parents so naturally we balled out and tried almost everything on the menu…hah. There was one dish we had that I could NOT stop thinking about and knew I had to recreate – it was a divine build-your-own-lettuce-wraps situation that featured these sweet, deliciously sticky brussels sprouts + fried tofu cubes. They came together in fresh lettuce boats with kimchi + peanuts. HEAVEN.
Here’s my version – I swapped the tofu for tempeh because although I used to eat a lot of tofu, I think it gives me some tummy problems and the fermented aspect of tempeh makes it a bit easier for me to digest. I also just find it more flavourful. But you can swap it out if you like! I also fried up some crispy brussels sprouts and topped it with an incredible, Asian-inspired sweet and salty sauce. Perfection.
Hope you love these!
- 1 package tempeh (approx. 250g)
- 8 oz brussels sprouts (approx. 2 c.)
- 2 tbsp. avocado oil (or other high-heat oil)
- 1/4 c. tamari or soy sauce
- 2 tbsp. maple syrup
- 2 tbsp. rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp. sesame oil
- 2 tsp. hot sauce (I love sriracha, duh)
- 1 tsp. cornstarch
- Washed romaine lettuce, kimchi, lime + peanuts (or cashews) for assembling
- Prepare your brussels sprouts by trimming off the tough end and slicing each one in half. Cut your tempeh into small cubes. Set both aside.
- In a small bowl or jar, whisk all of your sauce ingredients (tamari through cornstarch) until thoroughly combined. Set aside.
- Heat a large skillet (I use cast iron) over medium heat and add 1 tbsp. of the avocado oil. Add your brussels sprouts, cut side down, and let them cook for 5 minutes or so to crisp up the bottom. Check one and if it's nice and brown, carefully flip all of the sprouts. At this point, take a large lid and cover the pan/skillet in order to steam the brussels a bit while they cook up. Leave them with the lid on for another 5-10 mins until brown and crisp on the other side - be careful not to burn! Once they're slightly softened and crisp on both sides, remove from pan.
- Heat the other 1 tbsp. of oil in your pan and add the tempeh cubes, cooking for a few minutes and then flipping them, until the cubes are nice and brown and crisp (5-10 mins total).
- Add your brussels back in with the tempeh, turn the heat to low and pour in your sauce, stirring to distribute evenly and allowing it to thicken up slightly. After a few minutes, remove everything from the pan.
- To assemble your wraps, take a piece of the romaine lettuce and top generously with the brussels/tempeh mixture, kimchi + chopped nuts. Wrap up + enjoy!