Super Easy Vegan + Gluten-Free Falafels
Happy weekend friends! It’s sunny as can be outside and yesterday two new hip hop albums came out AND I drank a few Aperol Spritz so it’s a definitely a good one 😉 To make it even better, I’m giving you these super easy and healthy falafels, which are amazingly perfect for meal prep because you can do SO many things with them and they have insane flavour.
These babies are made with only a few ingredients, including chickpeas (duh), spices, nuts and a bit of oat flour (or any flour) to bind them. You fry them up in your skillet and you have perfect, tender little flavour bombs that you’ve whipped up in 15 minutes. Noooot too shabby!
A few ways I love eating these:
- In a quinoa/rice bowl w/ veggies + tahini sauce
- Alongside roasted sweet potatoes + hummus
- Wrapped into a collard green or Swiss chard leaf w/ veggies + hummus
- Wrapped in a pita w/ pickled veggies + tahini sauce
Hope you guys give these a try and love ’em! Recipe inspired by the always fantastic Minimalist Baker.
- 15oz can chickpeas, drained + rinsed
- ½ c. fresh herbs (I love parsley + cilantro)
- ½ tsp. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. ground coriander
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- Fresh black pepper
- ¼ c. walnuts (or other nut/seed of choice!)
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. oat flour
- Avocado oil for cooking
- Place your chickpeas, herbs, spices + walnuts in the bowl of your food processor. Pulse a few times to combine, until you have a chunky paste - it should not be a completely smooth dough.
- Add in your olive oil and oat flour and pulse a few more times until you have a firm mixture that can be shaped in your hands.
- Shape your dough into 12 even balls and set aside.
- Heat a large cast iron skillet (or non-stick) and coat with a generous amount of avocado oil or other high heat oil. Don't be stingy; you don't want the falafels to stick! Make sure your pan is nice and hot at medium heat.
- Flatten your falafel balls to form patties and place them in the skillet. Cook for about 5-6 minutes and check the underside to make sure they are golden brown. Do not flip if they aren't yet brown as they will fall apart! Once they're sufficiently cooked on one side, carefully flip each patty and cook for another 5 minutes or until brown on the other side.
- Remove from the heat and store in the fridge to add to your meals, or freeze some for later!