Gluten-free banana oatmeal chocolate chip muffins
Does anyone remember that Quaker oatmeal chocolate chip muffin mix?! I LIVED for that stuff. My mom was more of a homemade muffins kinda gal (thanks mother!), but once in a while, we could have those delectable chocolate chip muffins from the Quaker mix and they were to die for.
I’ve always missed those and never really been able to replicate them in a healthy way…until NOW. Like many of my best recipes, this one happened totally on a whim when I was hanging out with my girlfriends and we were low on ingredients for making a treat. My friend had tons of oats and ripe bananas, so I decided to whip up some oatmeal muffins and throw in tons of chocolate chips, as one does.
As soon as my friends tried these, they were hooked. We ate the whole batch AND I made more in the morning after our slumber party (I swear we are 25). We agreed that they tasted so similar to those Quaker muffins from the mix, so I knew I had to post the recipe for you guys.
These are so simple to make and the fact that they are “healthier” is the cherry on top. Enjoy!
- 1 ¾ c. oat flour (you can just grind up oats in a high-speed blender until fine)
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- 3 very ripe bananas
- 1/3 - ½ c. coconut sugar (depending on the sweetness you want)
- ⅓ c. coconut oil, melted + cooled
- ½ c. almond milk, room temp.
- 1 egg or flax egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ c. chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a muffin tin.
- In a large bowl, mash your bananas until smooth, then add in your coconut sugar and whisk until combined. Make sure your almond milk is slightly warm or room temp so that it doesn't harden the coconut oil, then whisk both into the banana mixture. Add in your egg and vanilla and mix until smooth.
- Whisk together your oat flour, baking soda, salt + cinnamon in a small bowl, then add this to your wet mixture.
- Stir your mixtures together just until combined (do not overmix), then carefully fold in your chocolate chips.
- Divide batter evenly between 12 muffin cups, then bake in the oven for 15-18 mins or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of a muffin comes out clean.
- Let cool completely for 30 mins or so, then enjoy! Feel free to freeze extras 🙂