Sweet potato + brussels sprout breakfast hash
Happy Wednesday friends! Popping in today with a recipe for this epic savoury breakfast dish, which I meal-prepped on Monday (as you may have seen in my stories over on Instagram!) and have been enjoying all week.
A big part of my Whole30 program so far has been getting accustomed to savoury breakfasts. If you know me, you know that I hardly EVER eat savoury breakfasts. Eggs and veggies in the morning?! Hell nahhh. We all know how much I love my yogurt/smoothie/oatmeal bowls! It’s weird because I used to always eat a “sweet” (in the healthiest sense of the term) breakfast at home, yet when I go out for brunch, I always order a savoury egg dish and enjoy it thoroughly. So I guess it was just more of a special-occasion, restaurant thing for me?!
Anyway, during the program, I’ve set out the change that, since you’re ideally meant to have a big dose of veggies, protein + fat in the morning during Whole30. This has definitely taken some getting used to and was a bit tough at first, but now I’m trying to come up with lots of recipes like THIS ONE to keep things savoury, delicious + interesting!
This hash is seeeriously flavourful + delicious. I’ve been bringing it to work for breakfast with a couple of my mini veggie egg frittatas and it actually keeps me full for at least 4 hours…which NEVER happens to me. This is crazy for me. A whole new world!
This dish is perfect to meal prep for easy breakfasts throughout the week, but is also served well as a crowd-pleasing brunch dish, as I did this past weekend 😉 Hope you love!!
- 1 tbsp. avocado or olive oil
- 2 c. chopped sweet potato, in small (1/2 inch) cubes (from 2 smaller or 1 large potato)
- 2 c. brussels sprouts, ends chopped off & sliced in half
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 - 1 tsp. sea salt
- 2 tbsp. ghee (or regular/vegan butter if desired)
- chopped parsley, for serving
- sliced avocado, for serving
- Heat your oil in a large cast-iron pan over medium heat. Throw in your chopped onion and sweet potato cubes, and stir everything around. Let it cook for 5 mins or so.
- Add in your chopped brussels sprouts, stirring to incorporate. Cook everything for 10 mins or so, allowing the edges of all your veggies to brown slightly.
- Cover the pan with a lid and let everything cook for another 10 mins or so, covered, to steam/soften the veggies. Keep an eye on everything so it doesn't burn, and if your pan gets dry, add a splash of water or veggie broth to keep it moist.
- Test your veggies and make sure they're nice and soft. Lower the heat and add in your butter/ghee, stirring to incorporate.
- Serve alongside your favourite style of eggs with salt, pepper, chilli flakes, avocado + chopped parsley!