Whole30 BBQ Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
Happy Thursday friends! I feel like I’ve been posting on Thursdays a lot. Probably due to the fact that the whole week has gone by in a FLASH and I realize I have a bunch of recipes that I still need to post…oops. This one comes highly requested by my friends + fam who have tried this epic meal. I posted a teaser to these in my meal prep last week, and they definitely caught some attention. These babies are…INSANE.
During my Whole30, I actually quite enjoyed the challenge of branching out with my food choices and making compliant recipes that are still super interesting + delicious. Naturally, incorporating tons of spices and sauces into my cooking took meals from boring chicken + veggies to incredibly crave-worthy + satisfying meals like THIS ONE, which you can serve to a crowd or incorporate into your meal prep (that’s coming soon!).
I read the recipes for this Whole30 BBQ sauce in my book, It Starts with Food (highly recommend), and knew I had to try it. Next time you’re at the grocery store, check out how much sugar is in store-bought BBQ sauce – it’s shocking! I didn’t think it was possible to create a scrumptious BBQ sauce without all the sugar, but somehow Dallas + Melissa did it, so I give all credit to them for this sauce recipe.
The sauce gets mixed with shredded chicken (which is stupidly easy to make), then generously piled on top of baked sweet potatoes. The dish is finished with heaps of cilantro, green onion + avocado, plus a spicy cashew drizzle that is out of this world and TRULY takes them over the top. Hope you love love love this meal as much as I (and most people I’ve fed it to) do!
- 1 c. tomato puree
- 1/3 c. unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp. coconut aminos (can sub tamari if desired)
- 1 tbsp. dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp. ghee or butter
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
- Fresh black pepper
- 3 organic chicken breasts
- 1 c. cashews, soaked at least 6 hours or overnight
- ¾ c. filtered water
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. smoked paprika
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 4 sweet potatoes (organic if possible)
- 1 large ripe avocado, sliced
- Fresh cilantro
- Sliced green onions
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Grab your sweet potatoes and poke each of them all over several times with a fork. Place in the oven once it's ready and bake for about 45 mins, or until a fork is easily inserted into one. Set aside to cool.
- To make the BBQ sauce, heat your ghee in a saucepan over medium heat, then add your fresh garlic, chili powder and paprika. Stir until the mixture is fragrant and the garlic is browning slightly. Pour in the rest of your ingredients, whisk well, then bring the mixture to a boil. At this point, lower the heat to medium-low and simmer for 20-30 mins or until thickened. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- To make the shredded chicken, place your chicken breasts in a large pot and add enough water to fully cover them. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, and throw in another garlic clove if desired. Bring the mixture to a slight boil, then lower the heat and simmer for around 15 mins. Check to make sure the chicken is cooked through by cutting into the centre of one. Once cooked, remove chicken breasts from the pot and place on a cutting board, then use 2 forks to shred and pull apart the meat until your desired texture is reached.
- In a bowl, combine the shredded chicken with the BBQ sauce and stir until coated.
- To make the spicy cashew drizzle, simply blend all ingredients in a high speed blender until smooth and pourable (adding more water to thin as necessary).
- To assemble, cut your sweet potatoes in half and remove a small bit of the centre (save it for smoothies, yogurt bowls or salads!). Scoop a generous amount of the shredded chicken onto each sweet potato half, then top with sliced avocado + green onion, cilantro, and a drizzle of the cashew cream. Enjoy!