Cinnamon hazelnut sweet potato snack break (paleo)
Or, my solution to wanting a soft, cinnamon-y, grab-and-go quick bread/muffin/snack situation during my Whole30!
Technically, this is inherently not really allowed on Whole30. But guess what? I didn’t really care that much. Hah. I was definitely craving a certain flavour/texture – not necessarily something SWEET per se, but something nutritious and spice-filled that I could lather with almond butter and fruit on busy early mornings. I wanted it to be fairly neutral, so much so that I could even get away with making it savoury, but still have that warm, comforting, spiced taste.
So here it is! I whipped up this bread during my Whole30 and just made another batch of it yesterday. Holy HELL is it ever delicious. There is absolutely no sweetener in this – it gets a touch of sweetness from the banana and sweet potato, and is loaded with plenty of cinnamon + nutmeg to give it a beautiful flavour.
I LOVE that it’s not super sweet and can be paired with anything. A big slab of salted butter, a swirl of coconut or almond butter (I’ve done both and they are…divine), cheddar + pear (I just thought of that now and it sounds like a killer combo), mashed avocado…you pick your favourite toppings!
This bread is PERFECTLY moist and sweet in my opinion, but of course feel free to add a couple of tablespoons of maple syrup or coconut sugar if you want a sweeter bread. I also used my homemade cinnamon-hazelnut butter in here to make it extra nutty and delicious, but you can of course use any nut butter you like. It’s so easy to make and it’s my new favourite quick breakfast/snack!!! Hope you love it, and happy Sunday gorgeous people 🙂
- 1 c. cooked sweet potato, mashed
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- ⅓ c. hazelnut butter or almond butter
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil, melted + cooled
- 2 eggs (room temp.)
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract/powder
- 1 c. almond flour
- ¼ c. coconut flour (alternatively, you can use an additional 1 c. almond flour instead!)
- 1 ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 heaping tsp. cinnamon
- ½ tsp. nutmeg
- Pinch of cloves
- 1/4 c. hazelnuts, finely chopped
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and grease a standard loaf pan with coconut oil.
- In a large bowl, mash your banana + sweet potato together very well until no chunks remain. Add in your nut butter, coconut oil, eggs + vanilla and whisk well to make sure everything is smooth and combined.
- Add your almond + coconut flours, baking soda, salt, cinnamon + nutmeg to your bowl of liquids and gently stir everything together until well combined.
- Pour your batter into the prepared loaf pan and spread evenly (it will be quite thick). Top with your crushed hazelnuts and an extra sprinkle of cinnamon if desired.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. Let cool completely (at least 1 hour) before slicing and serving with your favourite toppings!