(Almost) Instant Vegan Banana Cashew Yogurt
I have had quite the ongoing saga with my search for delicious non-dairy yogurt. Anyone else?! Ever since going dairy-free back in university, I’ve struggled to find an alternative yogurt that I really LOVE. So Delicious used to make an unsweetened coconut one that was to DIE for, and I lived off of that when I first went dairy free. But they stopped selling it!!! I don’t know why on earth they would do this when it was legitimately, in my opinion, the only great non-dairy yogurt on the market. Siiiiiigh.
My search continues. I do like Yoso Unsweetened Coconut, but it’s not quite as thick as the So Delicious variety that I once adored. I’ve tried making my own coconut yogurt a couple of times, and although it’s turned out okay, it was never quite as thick as I’d like. Plus, I sometimes get freaked out with fermentation. The homemade kind seems to go bad too quickly!
I often have an abundance of soaked cashews hanging out in my fridge (this is what occurs when you work for a cashew cheese company lol) so I decided to give cashew yogurt a go. I first tried a fermented version a few months ago, which decided to explode all over the oven that I tucked it in to keep warm. Fail. I was happy with this “explosive” fermentation, but again, the taste + texture didn’t blow me away. Plus it was a bit too sour and I inevitably got freaked out by this. Back to the drawing board!
It only occurred to me last week that I could make a slightly less tangy version that I knew would have a superior texture, as I’ve made cashew cream countless times and love the smooth, velvety consistency. All I had to do was lower the liquid content and add in a few probiotic capsules for good measure. I also decided to sweeten it up with a ripe banana, which gave it a perfectly subtle taste and just the right amount of sweetness. Now we’re talking!
The result is this gorgeously luscious banana cashew yogurt, which boasts the texture of my dreams and includes flecks of vanilla to round out the flavour. As a bonus, it can be enjoyed almost instantly as there is no fermentation step, AND the probiotics actually lend it some tanginess as it rests in the fridge for a few days. Hope you give this a try – it’s incredible as a topping for oatmeal, blended into smoothies, on sweet potato (or regular) toast and of course, with fruit + granola as a parfait!
- 1 c. raw cashews, soaked overnight
- 1 large, very ripe banana
- 1/4 c. liquid of choice - I love cashew or coconut milk, but filtered water works just fine too!
- 1 tbsp. psyllium husk powder (optional, to thicken it up more)
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract/powder
- Pinch of salt
- 2-3 probiotic capsules
- Thoroughly clean a 500mL jar with soap and very hot water. Dry and set aside.
- In a high-speed blender (I use my Nutribullet), combine all your ingredients except the probiotics. Take your probiotic capsules and empty the powder from them into your mixture as well.
- Blend the mixture for a few minutes, or until completely combined + smooth. There should be no visible grains or lumps. If needed, add a bit more liquid (up to 1/4 c. extra), but remember that it will thicken up more in the fridge.
- Using a wooden spoon or rubber spatula, transfer your yogurt into the prepared jar. Place in the fridge for at least 1 hour to set before enjoying. The yogurt gets thicker + tangier the longer it sits in the fridge, so waiting more time is optimal!
- Yogurt will last up to 4 days in the fridge (just check to make sure there are no weird colours/tastes and you're good!)