The Best Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies
Sometimes, you just need a cookie in the middle of the week to help get you through.
I’ve been feeling a bit weird this week – maybe it’s the changing season, or just this strange territory of my mid-20s, but I’ve felt a bit uninspired as of late. However, I’m trying to continuously remind myself that it’s okay. There are always going to be ups and downs, and I think it’s important to ride these waves and accept that they will come and go, and that everything will be fine in the end. It can be hard to remember in the moment, but I find that taking some time to relax, practice gratitude and let yourself be in the feelings always makes things a bit better. Cookies don’t hurt either 🙂
Speaking of cookies, these delicious little specimens are a result of the knowledge I’ve gathered in my long journey to find the perfect grain-free, naturally-sweetened cookie recipe. I have to give credit where it’s due to the queen Bakerita, who shares so many amaaaazing cookie, bread + other treat recipes on her blog. She is truly the queen of grain-free / paleo baking in my eyes, and on top of it all, her photography is stunning! She’s definitely a big inspiration to me.
I tweaked various different recipes that I’ve come across and came up with these babies, which are SO perfectly chewy + sweet. They are honestly better than many regular chocolate chip cookies I’ve had! I’ve made them a few times already for my friends, who have definitely given them the seal of approval.
Hope you love these and that, if you need it, they happen make your day/week/month a little sweeter <3.
- ¼ c. soft coconut oil (NOT melted - semi-solid at room temp)
- ¼ c. natural almond butter
- ⅔ c. coconut sugar
- 1 egg OR 1 flax egg for vegan version
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract/powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 c. fine almond flour
- 2 tbsp. coconut flour
- ¾ c. chopped dark chocolate and/or chips (I love a chopped dark chocolate bar - 70-85% chocolate!)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grab a cookie sheet.
- In a large bowl, cream together your solid coconut oil, almond butter + coconut sugar (either by hand or with an electric mixer). Once those are all combined, add in your egg (or flax egg) + vanilla and whisk thoroughly until you have a smooth, creamy mixture.
- To the bowl, add your almond flour, coconut flour, baking soda + salt and use a spatula to gently combine everything. Fold in your chocolate.
- Spoon the dough into small mounds on your baking sheet (about 1.5 tbsp. each) and top with some extra chocolate if desired.
- Bake for 10 mins or until the cookies are slightly browned but still look soft in the middle (don't over-bake! They'll harden more as they cool.) Let cool completely on a wire rack and enjoy!