Grain-Free Tahini Nut Granola
Happy Weekend loves!
I’m feeling EMOTIONAL today because it’s been a month since Stella and I launched our podcast, the Rock Your Bod Pod (lol we don’t have a website yet but that’s coming real soon!) We’ve received such an outpouring of support and I can’t even properly convey how much it means for other women to tell us that we’ve helped them learn something new or impacted them in any way. What a dream!
Anyway, while I bask in gratefulness like a sap, I wanted to share this new granola recipe with you. I obviously love granola and I am forever loyal to my favourite/the best ever granola. BUT! As some of you know, I’ve been completely obsessing over tahini these days, and I wanted to incorporate it into one of my favourite breakfast treats.
Let me be quite clear: I have had a deep love for tahini from the moment I first tried it. However, for years I tended to use it mostly in my beloved hummus or in a lemon-y dressing. I was completely disregarding its power in sweets + breakfast meals! This recipe combines both 🙂
I kept this granola grain-free by using a mixture of nuts + seeds, which also makes it very filling and hearty. The magic ingredient here is the egg whites – they add protein + nutrition, while helping to create those beautiful coveted clumps (without a ton of added sweetener). Hope you love this combo!
- 2 c. raw almonds, roughly chopped
- 1 c. walnuts
- ½ c. shredded unsweetened coconut
- ¼ c. white or black sesame seeds
- ¼ c. ground flaxseed
- ¼ c. sunflower seeds
- 2 tbsp. chia seeds
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- ¾ tsp. sea salt
- 3 large egg whites
- ¼ c. coconut oil
- ¼ c. pure maple syrup
- ¼ c. tahini
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp. coconut or brown sugar (note: the first time I made this, I did not include this and still loved the granola, however it was barely sweet - so thought I'd add this for those who like a slightly sweeter granola!)
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees and line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment or silicone.
- In a large bowl, combine all nuts and seeds, plus the cinnamon and sea salt.
- Thoroughly whisk your egg whites in a small bowl until frothy and slightly opaque. Pour them over your nut mixture and stir.
- In a small saucepan, melt your coconut oil, then remove from the heat and whisk in maple, tahini and vanilla. Pour this over your mixture as well and stir to completely combine. Your mixture will feel quite stiff and sticky.
- Spread the mixture out onto your baking pan (if too crowded, divide it between two). Place in the oven and bake for 20 mins, then use a spatula to break up the granola a flip it on the baking sheet if possible. Bake for an additional 15-20 mins or until slightly browned and crisp.
- Remove the granola from the oven, continue to break it up slightly, and let it cool completely for at least 30 mins. It should crisp up a lot as it cools and the result will be large clusters that you can break up to your liking.
- Store in an airtight glass jar/container for up to 3 weeks. Enjoy!