Zucchini Noodles with Butternut Squash, Mushrooms + Sage Pesto (Vegan)
Today I’m bringing you one of my all-time favourite healthy, versatile and insanely delicious dinner recipes. Which, to be honest, I’m surprised I haven’t shared until now – considering I’ve referenced it several times on my Instagram, and it’s happened to evolve over time into quite the dinner staple.
One thing I love so much about this recipe is that it can be customized however you like! I often add chicken or salmon for an extra hit of protein when I’m craving it, but you could totally do tofu as well if that’s how you roll. It also goes without saying that you can use real pasta here. I love the zucchini noodles, but you better believe I’m using real noodles when that pasta mood hits!
You can also use a good-quality homemade pesto if you’re crunched for time – and by all means do! It will still (almost as) delicious. I will say though, if you have the time and energy, this basil pesto with spinach, sage and walnuts is INSANELY good and you will not regret making it 😉
The combo of the slightly sweet roasted squash with the garlicky mushrooms and sage pesto is out of this WORLD. It’s also easy as hell, especially when you make the pesto in advance. Hope you love this one and make it for dinner one day real soon!
- 2 c. fresh basil
- 2 c. fresh spinach
- ½ c. fresh sage
- 2 cloves garlic
- ½ c. walnuts
- 2 tbsp. nutritional yeast
- ¼ c. olive oil
- ½ lemon, juiced
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
- Water as needed
- 2 zucchinis, spiralized
- 2 tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled + cut into small cubes
- 2 c. organic mushrooms, sliced
- ½ tsp. Italian seasoning
- ½ tsp. garlic powder, divided
- ½ tsp. sea salt, divided
- Start by making the pesto: in a high-speed blender or food processor, add your walnuts and pulse until they're in small pieces. Add in the rest of your pesto ingredients and blend, adding water a little bit at a time, until desired texture is achieved (I like it quite smooth). Taste and add more salt or lemon as desired. Set aside.
- Heat a large skillet (ideally cast iron) over medium and add 1 tbsp. olive oil. Add in your butternut squash - make sure they are chopped into fairly small cubes so they cook/brown more quickly in the skillet (alternatively, you can roast them in the oven if desired). Add 1/4 tsp. each of sea salt and garlic powder and cook for 10 mins or until browned and soft, flipping the cubes halfway through cooking time. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, add your additional 1 tbsp. olive oil and throw in your mushrooms. Add the remaining sea salt and garlic powder, plus the Italian seasoning, and cook until soft and tender.
- Add the butternut back into the skillet with the mushrooms, turn the heat to low, then add your zucchini noodles.
- Pour in desired amount of pesto (you will probably have extra - I love to freeze some for later!). Stir everything around until the zucchini noodles and veggies are well coated. Add in desired protein (if using), top with freshly cracked black pepper, and enjoy!