Vegan Cream of Broccoli Soup
It’s almost 2019! Where on earth has this year gone?! I sounds like a broken record but MAN…it’s just too crazy to me how quickly a year passes!
Today I’m bringing you a super simple + healthy recipe to kick-start you into the new year. I’ve been making a version of this recipe for a number of years now and have been tweaking it along the way, so finally decided it’s time to share!
Plus, it’s a welcome change from all of the sweets that have been going on around here 😉 And it’s super warm + comforting to prepare us (at least here in Canada) for the next few chilly months.
Hope you enjoy this one – I want to share more soups in the near future, since they’re such a winter staple for me, so stay tuned and pleeease share any requests or suggestions in the comments!
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- 3 c. white or yellow potatoes, cubed
- 3 c. water
- 1 large head broccoli, chopped
- 1 c. full-fat canned coconut milk
- ¼ c. nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp. miso (optional but delicious)
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- In a large pot over medium, heat your olive oil. Once hot, add in your diced onion, garlic and salt and cook for 3-5 minutes or until onion is soft and translucent.
- Add your cubed potatoes to the pot and stir. Cook for an additional 3 minutes, then add your water (it should be just enough to cover the potatoes). Bring everything to a boil, then reduce heat back to medium-high and let the potatoes simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Use a fork to test if the potato cubes are semi-soft, and once ready, add in your chopped broccoli and cook for an additional 5-8 minutes or until they turn bright green and soft.
- Remove pot from the heat and add in your coconut milk, nutritional yeast and miso (if using). Use an immersion blender or a large stand-up blender to puree the soup for several minutes or until completely smooth.
- Garnish with a drizzle of coconut milk, fresh pepper and herbs if desired, then serve!