Grain-Free Peanut Butter + Blueberry Jelly Breakfast Bars
I’m sitting here on a Tuesday night, listening to the Sam Cooke playlist on Spotify (highly recommend for an instant mood lift) and feeling super content, grateful and proud for this little life I’ve created for myself. This is absolutely unrelated to this recipe, but I just felt compelled to say that life is always full of ups and downs – and I’ve had a LOT of them over the past year – and I think it’s always important to appreciate and soak up the ups when they come, because it’s these little moments that make life so sweet!
Okay – my unsolicited sappy time is over now. Hah. On to this gem of an on-the-go breakfast recipe! In my office life days, I was constantly in search of easy, healthy + filling breakfast or mid-morning snack recipes to nibble on at my next.
I’m sure many of you feel the same way! Whether you work in an office or not, morning snacks are always a welcome addition and change from granola/protein bars (which – let’s be honest – can get boring, FAST).
These little babies give me a sort of whole-grain breakfast bar vibe. Is that even a thing?! Did I just make that up? I feel like maybe I did. Am I thinking of a Nutri-grain bar??? I guess kiiiind of that vibe. Except WAY tastier and made with real ingredients and totally grain-free!
They also feature plenty of peanut butter, a sugar-free blueberry jam and a sprinkling of chia seeds to give some crunch and keep you nice and full (yay for stabilizing blood sugar!). Perfect for a lil’ morning treat! Enjoy friends <3
- 1 ½ c. almond or pecan meal (or a mix!)
- ½ c. ground flaxseed
- ½ c. shredded unsweetened coconut
- 2 tbsp. chia seeds
- 3-4 tbsp. coconut sugar
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ c. thick, creamy natural peanut butter + 2 tbsp. additional for drizzling
- 3 tbsp. coconut oil or butter, solid
- 1 c. frozen wild blueberries (can also use fresh)
- 1 tbsp. chia seeds
- Squeeze of lemon
- Water to thin
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and grease a square baking pan (or line with parchment).
- In a large bowl, combine your dry ingredients (almond meal through cinnamon).
- To the bowl, add your peanut butter and coconut oil or butter. Mix thoroughly until combined. You should have a thick dough – if it seems too dry, add in a tiny bit of almond milk.
- Take 2/3 of the dough and press it into the bottom of your pan. Place in the oven and bake for 12-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make your jam by placing your blueberries and a splash of water in a small saucepan. Let them cook for 10 minutes or so, until the berries are broken down. Add in your chia seeds and stir, then continue to cook for 5 minutes until it thickens up a lot.
- Remove your crust from the oven and spread your blueberry jam on top. Drizzle with 2 tbsp. of peanut butter. Crumble the remaining 1/3 of your dough on top and place back in the oven.
- Bake for an additional 10 minutes or until slightly browned on top.
- Let cool for at least 30 minutes, then place in the fridge for at least 1-2 hours before slicing.
- Cut into squares, store in fridge or freezer and enjoy!