Paleo Coconut Flour Cinnamon Protein Pancakes
I love pancakes. A lot. Are we aware of this fact by now? There is lots of evidence here on this very blog.
These banana ones are one of my most popular recipes TO DATE on here, yet I am back at it again and bringing you another insanely delicious, fluffy and nutrition-packed stack of goodness.
I’m not quite sure why I’ve become so obsessed with pancakes in recent years, but I think it might have something to do with the following facts that they are:
- Easy to make ahead of time in big batches (meal prep win!)
- Freezer-friendly and can be popped in the toaster for breakfast in 2 minutes
- A vessel for all delicious toppings, including yogurt, fruit, nut butter, maple syrup and really anything else your little heart desires
- Healthy, if you do it right (like I do, and therefore you can too)
- Cute as hell 🙂
Has my point been driven home yet?? I hope so. These new babies are made with coconut flour, making them grain-free and nut-free. Technically you do have to add nut butter to this recipe, but you could easily replace it with sunflower seed butter if needed!
I also upped the nutrition in these lil’ cakes by adding my favourite vanilla protein powder. The key is to find one that you genuinely enjoy the taste of (trial and error, people) and it can add a subtle sweetness + flavour, plus that ever-coveted morning dose of protein that will actually keep you full until lunch. This is KEY for me. I want to be full for a whiiiile after breakfast! I also added flaxseeds for this purpose because fibre = good stuff.
Finished off the batter with a generous dose of cinnamon and voila – easy, tasty pancakes that come out super fluffy every time and will keep you satisfied for hours. YAY! Make them soon and you will be very very happy.
- 1 scoop your favourite vanilla protein powder (make sure it has a great taste! I like Sunwarrior and Genuine Health brands)
- ¼ c. coconut flour
- 2 tbsp. ground flaxseed
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tbsp. almond butter (or any nut/seed butter)
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil or butter, melted
- ⅓ c. coconut milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 2 tsp. honey or pure maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- Coconut oil, for cooking
- Fruit, yogurt, nut butter, maple syrup and/or granola, for topping
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together your eggs, almond butter, coconut oil, milk, maple syrup and vanilla until smooth.
- Add in your protein powder, coconut flour, ground flax, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Whisk into the wet ingredients until fully incorporated. Let the batter sit for 5 minutes or so, at which point it should be fairly thick.
- Heat a large pan over medium heat and melt a good spoonful of coconut oil. Once hot, drop in mounds of 2-3 tbsp. of batter per pancake.
- Let the pancakes cook for a few minutes or until they are starting to form bubbles and look dry. At this point, flip them over (they should be golden brown) and cook for a few minutes on the other side.
- Repeat with remaining batter.
- Serve hot with desired toppings – and a good drizzle of maple syrup if you know what’s good 😉 Enjoy!