Paleo Coconut Cashew Banana Bread
I’ve been feeling super grateful today. I’m currently sitting on my couch, sipping a huge glass of water with lemon, cucumber & mint (game changer) and reflecting on how much my life has changed in the past year. It also happens to be drizzling outside and there’s nothing that make me more cozy & sentimental than being inside my beloved apartment and hearing the rain fall outside.
Not to get too sappy here, but it’s days like today that I am so thankful that I get to create my own schedule, work at home and most importantly, be doing things I truly love.
This year is already passing by insanely quickly, so I’m just trying to be present and enjoy every day. I feel like every time I blink it’s a new month. I’ve been simultaneously enjoying the fast-paced nature of things and looking forward to everything that’s coming soon, while also wanting time to slow down. It’s a funny thing.
I’ve been working hard on a new business (to be announced SO soon), doing Rock Your Bod Pod (which has been an absolute joy), trying to improve my writing & photography skills for possible future opportunities, and living that restaurant life on the side (for the first time, and it’s actually a lot of fun).
Anyway, none of this has anything even remotely to do with banana bread, but sometimes I think of this blog like a version of my journal and I just have to write down what I’m thinking. So thanks for listening! And if you’re just here for the food, well – this new banana bread recipe is a delight. It’s paleo & grain-free, low in sugar, and full of wonderful things like cashew butter, coconut flour, coconut flakes and of course, plenty of extra dark chocolate chunks.
Pretty much perfection. Enjoy friends!
- 3 very ripe bananas (plus 1 for topping, if desired)
- ⅓ cup cashew butter (can sub almond)
- 3 large eggs
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tbsp. avocado oil (or other neutral oil)
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ cup + 2 tbsp. coconut flour
- ½ cup chopped dark chocolate
- 1/3 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and grease or line a standard loaf pan.
- Mash your 3 banana in a large bowl. Add in the nut butter, eggs, maple, oil & vanilla, whisking everything together until you have a smooth liquid (a few banana chunks are okay).
- To the liquid mixture, add your coconut flour, salt, baking soda & baking powder. Gently stir with a spatula until batter comes together. It should be fairly thick – if it still looks too thin, add more coconut flour 1 tbsp. at a time. I find its absorbency really depends on which brand you use, so try to assess whether you need to add more to make the batter sturdier!
- Fold in your chocolate chunks & coconut flakes.
- Spread batter evenly into your pan and top with a lengthwise-sliced banana, if desired, as well as a few extra chocolate chunks & coconut flakes.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes. Check that it has fully set by inserting a toothpick or slim knife into the centre – it should come out clean.
- Let bread cool for at least 30 minutes before removing from pan and slicing. Enjoy!