Vegan Cashew Butter Oatmeal Chocolate Chunk Cookies
Wow. It is H O T out there. Summer is in full swing and I’m sorry that I’m giving you a reason to turn on your oven, but I promise it’s worth it.
I’ve wanted to share a version of these cookies for a while now. I tried an oatmeal cashew butter cookie a few months ago at an event and have been itching to recreate it ever since. I think I nailed it here!
These cookies are perfectly sweet, soft + chewy. They’re made with simple, wholesome ingredients like rolled oats, cashew butter, maple syrup + extra dark chocolate chunks (which are…the best part). I know cashew butter is a little bit of a splurge, but it adds the most delicious nutty flavour to these cookies and it’s absolutely wonderful. I always buy mine in bulk (at Bulk Barn for my Canadians!)
You could absolutely try subbing almond or peanut butter here as well if that’s what you have on hand – I’m sure both would be delicious. Hope you enjoy these cute lil cookies! Tag me if you make them 😉
- ¾ c. cashew butter
- 5 tbsp. pure maple syrup
- 2 tbsp. liquid coconut oil
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp. ground flaxseed mixed with 3 tbsp. water – let set for 10 mins)
- 6 tbsp. oat flour (you can grind oats in your blender to make it!)
- 1 c. rolled oats
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 c. (or more) chopped dark chocolate
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment or a silicone mat.
- In a large bowl, whisk together your cashew butter, maple, and coconut oil until smooth. Add in the flax egg and vanilla and mix.
- To the liquid mixture, add your oat flour, rolled oats, baking soda and salt. Use a spatula or wooden spoon to incorporate and form a dough. Fold in your chocolate chunks.
- Let dough rest for at least 15 minutes in the fridge to allow the oat flour to thicken it up. Scoop dough onto your baking sheet in small rounds, flattening them slightly with your palm.
- Bake cookies for 10 minutes and then check them – they should be soft and slightly underdone.
- Remove from the oven and let cool on a wire rack for at least 10 minutes before eating. Store leftovers in a sealed container in the fridge. Enjoy!