Seedy Sweet Potato Chocolate Chunk Bread
Oh hi! I’ll be the first to admit that I’ve been a little MIA on here…ha. But I’m sure you understand. It’s summer! We’re all just out here trying to live our best summer lives. I’ve also been making an effort (with the help of meditation) to really live in the present and soak up every moment / ray of sunshine while I can 🙂
That being said, don’t think for a second that I’ve been MIA from the kitchen. I’ve still been whipping up some delicious recipes that I certainly plan to share here (eventually), so stay tuned for those in the near future. And let me know what you want to see more of on here!
I had some leftover steamed sweet potato last week and was craving a sweet, cinnamon-y loaf of sorts, so I came up with this baby and it turned out INCREDIBLY delicious. It gets sweetness from a hint of banana and some rich maple syrup, and it’s made with almond + coconut flours for those who are grain-free/gluten-free/paleo (or none of the above, and just feel good eating this way occasionally, like me!)
Obviously, a generous handful of dark chocolate chunks had to be added to this loaf (sweet potato + chocolate is quite the combo, for anyone who isn’t aware), and I topped it off with a mix of black sesame, sunflower + pumpkin seeds because I was craving some crunch. It’s perfect with a smear of peanut butter for breakfast or a sweet snack. In fact, I’m going to go snag a piece right now 😉 Hope you love this one!
- 1 very ripe banana, mashed
- 1 small sweet potato, steamed + cooled (about ¾ c. puree)
- ¼ c. nut butter (almond or cashew are great)
- ¼ c. pure maple syrup, room temp.
- 1 tbsp. molasses
- 3 tbsp. coconut oil, melted
- 2 eggs, room temp.
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ¾ c. almond flour
- ¼ c. + 1 tbsp. coconut flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. nutmeg
- 1/2 c. chopped dark chocolate
- 2 tbsp. sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp. sunflower seeds
- 2 tbsp. pumpkin seeds
- Bake at 350 for 45 mins
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease or line a standard loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, mash together your banana and sweet potato puree. Add the nut butter, maple syrup, molasses, coconut oil, vanilla and eggs and whisk well until you have a smooth, thick liquid. Make sure all of your wet ingredients are at room temperature so your coconut oil doesn’t solidify!
- To the liquid, add your almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Use a spatula to gently stir until everything is well combined. Fold in your chocolate chunks.
- Spread batter evenly into your loaf pan. Sprinkle with your seeds and more chocolate if desired.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Let cool for at least 30 mins, then slice and enjoy! Leftover can be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days.