Vegan Pumpkin Crumble Bread
Oh hey! It’s been way too long. I was feeling a little uninspired and overwhelmed the past few months, with working, launching the baking mix business (!!!), writing projects and travel. I’m extremely grateful for how full my life has been, but I’m definitely craving my creative pastime again! Making recipes, improving my food photography and writing for this blog are outlets for me, and I want to commit to bringing those to life again.
This recipe has been a long time coming and gone through many changes. Many, many years ago, I discovered this incredible vegan pumpkin bread recipe online and became obsessed with it. I would make it for my family on the regular.
Once I started to become increasingly aware of healthy eating, I revised the recipe to contain less sugar and oil/vegan butter, plus be sweetened only with maple syrup. It turned out perfectly and I continued to make it (often by the request of my friends/family).
Last year, I tried to make it gluten-free a couple of times and failed HARD, so I kinda gave up on it. This past week I was craving pumpkin and was inspired again, so I decided to use my trusted combination of almond flour + oat flour to try and make a gluten-free version work. I also took a cue from one of my favourite vegan/gluten-free baking queens, Bakerita, and added almond butter to give it more structure and flavour.
This bread turned out INCREDIBLE and might be one of the best things I’ve made in a while. The key is the addition of molasses and TONS of warming spices to provide deep, complex flavour. The combination of maple syrup + coconut sugar gives it perfect sweetness, and the crumble topping is to die for. I used Culcherd‘s new Cinnamon Swirl vegan butter for it and omg…cannot recommend it enough, if you can get your hands on it.
Enjoy my friends, and stay warm!
- ¾ cup pure pumpkin puree
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp molasses
- 2 tbsp non-dairy milk
- ¼ cup almond butter
- ¼ cup Culcherd vegan butter or coconut oil, melted + cooled
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp allspice
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp cloves
- 2 tbsp Culcherd Cinnamon Swirl vegan butter
- 3 tbsp coconut sugar
- 5-6 tbsp oat flour
- Pinch of cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a standard loaf tin.
- In a large bowl, whisk together all of your wet ingredients (pumpkin through vanilla) until thoroughly combined. Add in your ground flaxseed and spices (cinnamon through cloves) and stir to combine.
- To the mixture, add your oat and almond flours, baking soda, baking powder and sea salt. Stir to combine into a smooth batter, making sure no clumps remain.
- In a separate small bowl, combine your streusel ingredients and use clean hands to incorporate the butter until you have a soft mixture. It will feel slightly wet.
- Spread batter into your loaf pan and sprinkle evenly with the streusel mixture, pressing it down slightly.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Let cool completely for at least 1 hour, then slice and enjoy.
- Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 4 days.