Peanut Butter + Jelly Snack Cake (sugar-free, gluten-free + paleo!)
I think it goes without saying that this is the snack of my DREAMS. You’ve very likely noticed by this point that I really like peanut butter and frankly, I’ve never necessarily complained about jelly being added to the mix as well. So yaaaaa this little snack cake/bread is absolutely my new favourite treat for those times where I need something sweet that isn’t full of sugar (which is…always?)
I have give credit where credit is due here – I came across this MAGICAL Bakerita sugar-free paleo banana bread a few weeks ago and not be dramatic, but it changed…my life? This woman is a genius! It never ever crossed my mind that I could make a banana bread/cake of any sort without adding some maple or honey. I always stick with “natural” sugars like these in my baking anyway, but I’m currently not eating ANY sugar (processed or not, besides from fruit) for a month due to a parasite cleanse I’m trying out to heal my gut (I won’t bore you with these details). Needless to say, this fruit-sweetened bread was an actual lifesaver, as I have a healthy sweet tooth and was panicking about this whole no-sugar thing.
I loved her recipe so much that I decided to adapt the base of it for a few other variations, and I’m happy to report that it went swimmingly. Please see and make the below for proof – you will not be disappointed! I have eaten a minimum of 2 squares of this every single day this week. Whoops! But also not whoops because it’s paleo + added-sugar-free + AMAZING. Go go go!
- ½ c. creamy natural peanut butter
- ½ c. applesauce
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil, melted
- 2 eggs (one lovely reader had success replacing these w/ 2 flax eggs for a vegan version, so feel free to do so!)
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- ½ c. coconut flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 more tbsp. peanut butter
- 4 tbsp. jam of choice (I love homemade chia jam; recipe below)
- 1 c. berries of choice, fresh or frozen (I love blueberries + strawberries)
- 2 tbsp. chia seeds
- Splash of lemon juice
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and line/grease an 8x8 square pan.
- If you're making the berry chia jam, heat a small saucepan over medium heat and add your berries, heating for 5-10 minutes until they become soft + liquidy. Stir with a wooden spoon, crushing the berries with the back of the spoon. Add in your chia seeds and stir, then turn the heat down to low and let it cook for another 5-10 minutes. Add a splash of lemon juice or even a bit of water if it's becoming too thick/sticky. When it's a texture you like, remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together your wet ingredients (peanut butter through vanilla) until smooth + combined. Add in your coconut flour, baking soda, cinnamon + salt and mix until fully combined.
- Pour the batter into your pan and top with small spoonfuls of the peanut butter, swirling evenly with a knife to distribute (and make it pretty). Repeat this process with the chia jam.
- Bake for 35-40 mins or until toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Slice into 9-12 squares + enjoy!