Peanut chicken swiss chard wraps
I seem to be really into lettuce wraps these days. I’m not sure why, but I’m not complaining – they are surprisingly delicious when paired with some kind of extra saucy filling (sauce is the key here). They are perfect for meal prep, because the peanut chicken can be used in other dishes as well like rice bowls, salads and alongside roasted sweet potatoes (hell ya).
Since my love for peanut butter is no secret, it will come as no surprise that I decided to fill these babies with peanut chicken. That’s right – shredded chicken coated in the most creamy and tasty peanut butter sauce, which features a bit of coconut milk for extra decadence. The creaminess goes so well with the crunchy swiss chard wraps and once you add all your favourite toppings (which you must), it really becomes a dream scenario.
I used swiss chard as my wraps because let’s face it, they look pretty in pictures (lol). But also because I received them in my Fresh City Farm delivery this week and I figured I would try them as wraps rather than cooking them down as I usually do. Obviously, you can use anything to wrap these puppies up – chard, collard, romaine, or even wheat/corn tortillas. OH and they can easily be made vegetarian by swapping the shredded chicken for crumble or cubed tofu/tempeh. Do your thing!
Hope you enjoy these babies! Xoxo
- 2 c. shredded cooked chicken (I bought an organic, free-range rotisserie chicken and got it from that!)
- 1/4 c. peanut butter
- 1 tbsp. rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 inch fresh ginger, minced
- 2 tbsp. coconut milk (from a can – if you don’t want to open up a can to do this, you can just use water or oil instead, but I highly recommend the coconut milk for creaminess!)
- squeeze of hot sauce
- squeeze of lime juice
- 1 bunch of Swiss chard (or wraps of choice – collard, romaine, tortillas, etc.)
- 1 large carrot, cut into matchsticks
- 1/2 cucumber, cut into matchsticks
- for topping: peanuts, avocado, cilantro, etc.
- Shred your cooked chicken using a fork. Mix together the peanut sauce ingredients (peanut butter through lime juice) in a small jar or bowl, whisking until full combined. It should be pretty thick but still slightly pourable.
- To assemble the wraps, take a washed piece of chard and fill it with a big scoop of the peanut chicken mixture. Add a few pieces of your chopped veggies, then top with nuts, avocado, hot sauce and whatever else you like – THAT’S IT!