Vegan almond “cheese”
I’m not always a fan of very obviously “vegan” things being named after their meat/dairy counterparts – it just seems like too much of a stretch sometimes. That being said, if something tastes like a genuinely delicious spread/dip/topping that you are using in the exact same way as the original version, without being even remotely concerned about whether it is vegan or not, I have no issues. Enter: this vegan “cheese” that is really just an insanely delicious accompaniment to any savoury meal and therefore does not even need to be compared to its non vegan version (but is named in that matter for lack of a better option).
I’ve posted photos of this creation on my Instagram a few times and I feel like I’ve been holding it back for too long, so it was high time. It is insanely easy. It takes 5 minutes to make and you end up with a delicious, healthy, cheese-like spread/dip that everyone (vegan or not) will love!
If you’ve tried Kite Hill cheese, you’re lucky, because obviously we are very behind here in Canada and don’t have such magical vegan items in our grocery stores yet. Ugh. BUT I imagine it tastes pretty similar to this and guess what?! You can easily make it yourself and you’ll get a way large quantity and no plastic packaging, so it’s actually a bit of a win. Who needs Kite Hill anyway?!
Make this for a potluck or something soon and impress the heck out of all your friends. Or just keep it for yourself. Either way – hope you love it! *Adapted from the superb Minimalist Baker*
- 1 heaping c. almonds, blanched + slivered (I get mine at the bulk store!)
- 2 tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 1 lemon, juiced
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. Italian spice mix (or just your choice of spice like oregano, parsley, basil, etc.)
- ½ c. filtered water
- Simply place all ingredients in your blender/food processor (I use my NutriBullet) and blend for a few minutes until completely smooth.
- Transfer to a jar and store in the fridge (it'll last about 1 week). Use in bowls, on sandwiches, as a dip, or any way you wish!