Buffalo cauliflower bites + peanut dipping sauce
Has anyone heard of these things called buffalo cauliflower bites before?????
JK JK. Obviously everyone knows about these by now…duh, it’s 2018. I discovered these puppies a few years back, and although they do no even remotely resemble the texture of chicken wings, no one should pretend they do because they are AMAZING as a standalone delicious snack/appetizer (let’s face it, I’ve also eaten a batch of these for dinner more times than I care to admit). No need to call them “wings” – just let them be their own yummy thing and dip them in peanut sauce and fulfill your craving for something spicy, crunchy + indulgent!!!
I got the idea to dip these in peanut sauce from Thug Kitchen, which was basically the first vegan cookbook I owned. People who know me will probably roll their eyes, because I could argue the validity of putting peanut butter on literally anything, but TRUST ME in this case! The slightly sweet + creamy peanut sauce is the PERFECT accompaniment to these bites, because it reduces the spice level just the right amount and adds a whole new complexity of flavour. It’s a must.
Oh and I shouldn’t even have to say it but – Frank’s Red Hot is the key to these. I’ve also made them with Sriracha, which is delicious, but there’s something about Frank’s that really provides that classic “buffalo” flavour. I received mine for free from Influenster + #HelloFlavour as part of their #BBQEssentials box and knew I had to bake up some of these bites! For more awesome recipe ideas, go to HelloFlavour.ca.
- 1 large head of cauliflower, chopped into 1-inch florets
- ¾ c. unsweetened almond milk (or any non-dairy milk)
- ¾ c. chickpea flour (can also use regular flour, but I wanted to keep them GF!)
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- ½ tsp. paprika
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ c. Frank's Red Hot sauce
- 1 tbsp. vegan or regular butter
- ⅓ c. natural peanut butter
- 2 tbsp. tamari
- 1 tbsp. sesame oil
- 1 tbsp. maple syrup/honey
- 1 inch fresh ginger, minced
- juice of 1 lime
- water OR coconut milk to thin
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment.
- Whisk together your flour, milk + spices until completely smooth. Place your cauliflower pieces into a large bowl and pour in your liquid flour mixture, making sure that all the pieces are fully coated.
- Spread the cauliflower bits on your baking sheet (do not overlap them) and bake for 20-30 minutes or until slightly browned and crispy, turning them over halfway through.
- While the bites bake, melt your hot sauce + butter in a small saucepan over medium heat, then set aside. Whisk together all of your peanut sauce ingredients, adding water/coconut milk until desired texture is achieved (I like it slightly thick for dipping!)
- Remove your cauliflower from the oven and pour your hot sauce mixture overtop, making sure the bites are evenly coated. Return them to the oven and bake for another 5-10 minutes to get them crispy + dry.
- Garnish the cauliflower bites with chopped parsley or cilantro if desired, and serve with the peanut sauce!